Code Section Group

Water Code - WAT


  ( Division 15 added by Stats. 1951, Ch. 336. )


  ( Part 5 added by Stats. 1951, Ch. 336. )

CHAPTER 2. Irrigation [50910 - 50914]
  ( Chapter 2 added by Stats. 1951, Ch. 336. )


A district may acquire, take or hold by gift, purchase, conditional sales contract, lease, condemnation, or other legal means, and maintain and operate the whole or any part of any irrigation system through which any lands in the district and lands contiguous thereto may be supplied with water for irrigation, including water rights, dams, diversion works, rights of way, canals, pumps and all property or things, real or personal, incidental thereto.

(Added by Stats. 1951, Ch. 336.)


When a district has adopted plans for the irrigation of district lands it may:

(a) Adopt rules and regulations for the distribution of water.

(b) Adopt a schedule of rates to be charged by the district for furnishing water for the irrigation of district lands. The schedule of rates may include standby charges to holders of title to land to which water may be made available, whether the water is actually used or not. The standby charge shall not exceed twenty dollars ($20) per year for each acre of land or for a parcel less than one acre, unless the standby charge is imposed pursuant to the Uniform Standby Charge Procedures Act (Chapter 12.4 (commencing with Section 54984) of Part 1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of the Government Code).

(c) If the procedures set forth in this section as it read at the time a standby charge was established were followed, the district may, by resolution, continue the charge pursuant to this section in successive years at the same rate. If new, increased, or extended assessments are proposed, the district shall comply with the notice, protest, and hearing procedures in Section 53753 of the Government Code.

(d) Collect the charges from the persons to or for whom the water was furnished and from the holders of title to land to which water has been made available, whether used or not.

(e) Sue for the recovery of the unpaid charges.

(Amended by Stats. 2007, Ch. 27, Sec. 34. Effective January 1, 2008.)


A district, upon payment of and compliance with such tolls, rates, and regulations as the board may adopt, may furnish through its irrigation works, water for irrigation of district lands, and may furnish, to nondistrict land contiguous to the district, water where it can be furnished through canals or ditches which may be used for the irrigation of lands within the district.

(Added by Stats. 1951, Ch. 336.)


Moneys collected by the board for irrigation charges pursuant to Section 50911, when deposited in the county treasury shall be credited to the “irrigation fund.”

(Added by Stats. 1951, Ch. 336.)


Money deposited in an “irrigation fund” shall be disbursed only on orders or warrants of the board in payment of the expense or cost of irrigation or irrigation works constructed by the district, or incidental expenses incurred in connection therewith.

(Added by Stats. 1951, Ch. 336.)

WATWater Code - WAT