Code Section Group

Government Code - GOV


  ( Title 4 added by Stats. 1949, Ch. 79. )

DIVISION 3. OFFICERS [36501 - 41805]

  ( Division 3 added by Stats. 1949, Ch. 79. )

PART 2. LEGISLATIVE BODY [36801 - 40592]

  ( Part 2 added by Stats. 1949, Ch. 79. )

CHAPTER 18. Public Works [40401 - 40473]

  ( Chapter 18 added by Stats. 1949, Ch. 79. )

ARTICLE 1. General [40401 - 40404]
  ( Heading of Article 1 amended by Stats. 1955, Ch. 624. )


In its discretion the legislative body may expend the ordinary annual city income to pay all or part of the cost of work to:

(a) Establish, build, and repair bridges.

(b) Acquire by purchase or otherwise land for squares, parks, playgrounds, and places within the city and improve, equip, and maintain them.

(c) Establish, lay out, alter, keep open, improve, and repair streets, sidewalks, alleys, tunnels, and other public highways, and drain, sprinkle, oil, and light them.

(d) Remove all obstructions from them.

(e) Establish grades for them.

(f) Grade, pave, gravel, and curb all or part of them.

(g) Construct gutters, culverts, sidewalks, and crosswalks in all or on any part of them.

(h) Cause shade trees to be planted, set out, and cultivated in them.

(i) Generally manage and control all such highways, tunnels, and places.

(Added by Stats. 1949, Ch. 79.)


When the legislative body deems it necessary for the city to construct a bridge connecting the city with an adjoining road district and it is necessary in constructing the bridge to take or damage private property within or without or within and without the city limits, by resolution the legislative body may declare the necessity of taking or damaging the property and direct and maintain proceedings for that purpose pursuant to law.

(Added by Stats. 1949, Ch. 79.)


The legislative body may acquire private property by condemnation or otherwise when it is necessary to take or damage such property for:

(a) Establishing, laying out, extending, and widening streets and other public highways and places within the city.

(b) Rights of way for drains, sewers, and aqueducts.

(c) Widening, straightening, or diverting the channels of streams.

(d) The improvement of water fronts.

(e) The acquisition or maintenance of public harbors.

(f) Any other purposes authorized by law.

(Added by Stats. 1949, Ch. 79.)

GOVGovernment Code - GOV1.