Compare Versions

PDF |Add To My Favorites |Track Bill | print page

AB-771 Vehicles: driver’s licenses.(2021-2022)

Current Version: 02/16/21 - Introduced         Compare Versions information image



Assembly Bill
No. 771

Introduced by Assembly Member Bennett

February 16, 2021

An act to add Section 14900.2 to the Vehicle Code, relating to vehicles.


AB 771, as introduced, Bennett. Vehicles: driver’s licenses.
Existing law requires a person who drives a vehicle upon a highway to have a valid driver’s license. Existing law prescribes specified fees that shall be collected by the Department of Motor Vehicles for the issuance and renewal of a driver’s license.
This bill would waive the driver’s license renewal fee for a homeless person, as specified.
Vote: MAJORITY   Appropriation: NO   Fiscal Committee: YES   Local Program: NO  

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:


 Section 14900.2 is added to the Vehicle Code, to read:

 (a) A fee shall not be charged for the renewal of a driver’s license of any person who can verify their status as a homeless person. A homeless services provider that has knowledge of the person’s housing status may verify the person’s status for purposes of this subdivision. A determination of eligibility pursuant to this subdivision shall be subject to regulations adopted by the department. A person applying for renewal of a driver’s license under this subdivision shall not be charged a fee for verification of their eligibility.
(b) For purposes of this section, the following definitions apply:
(1) A “homeless person” has the same meaning as the definition set forth in the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. Sec. 11301 et seq.).
(2) A “homeless services provider” includes all of the following:
(A) A governmental or nonprofit agency receiving federal, state, or county or municipal funding to provide services to a “homeless person” or “homeless child or youth,” or that is otherwise sanctioned to provide those services by a local homeless continuum of care organization.
(B) An attorney licensed to practice law in this state.
(C) A local educational agency liaison for homeless children and youth designated as such pursuant to Section 11432 (g)(1)(J)(ii) of Title 42 of the United States Code, or a school social worker.
(D) A human services provider or public social services provider funded by the State of California to provide homeless children or youth health services, mental or behavioral health services, substance use disorder services, or public assistance or employment services.
(E) A law enforcement officer designated as a liaison to the homeless population by a local police department or sheriff’s department within the state.
(F) Any other homeless services provider that is qualified to verify an individual’s housing status, as determined by the department.